Located 83km southeast of Lahad Datu in Sabah, the 438-sq. km. Danum Valley Conservation Area is one of the last remaining pockets of primary lowland rainforest in Asia. It is a rugged terrain bordered by the Danum and Segama Rivers, and dipterocarp forests cover over 90 percent of the area.
The 60-million-year-old rainforest preserves many plant and animal species found only in Borneo. It is home to over 275 bird species, 110 species of mammals including Orang Utans, five species of deer, giant flying squirrels, gibbons, bearded wild boars, flying frogs, Bulwar pheasants, the Asian elephant and the Sumatran rhinoceros.
The ecosystem here is also a subject of ongoing international and local scientific studies. Several Malaysian and foreign field scientists are working together at the Danum Valley Field Centre. Facilities here range from hostels to a suspension bridge over Sungai Segama and a 40m-high canopy observation platform, where Dutch and American companies fund studies on plant enrichment and reducing the impact of logging techniques.
DAY 1 – Lunch / Dinner
- Transfer to airport for flight to Lahad Datu.
- Meet upon arrival at Lahad Datu Airport and proceed to lodge for registration, briefing and check in.
- Depart for 2½ hrs interesting and bumpy overland journey through the Danum Valley for the Borneo Rainforest Lodge.
- Upon arrival at lodge, exotic “Welcome Drink” will be served
- Introduction to the forest through the “Nature Trail” and proceed to the “Canopy Walkway”.
- Briefing and night presentation. Night drive in an open-air jeep in search of nocturnal animals (if weather permitting)
DAY 2 – Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
- Early morning jungle walk to Canopy Walkway.
- After breakfast, proceed for guided jungle activities:
- Trek to KadazanDusun burial site – “Coffin Cliff”
- View Point – bird eye view
- Jacuzzi Pool – for a refreshing dip
- Lunch at the lodge
- Water tubing on Danum River (optional activity)
- Night walk in search of nocturnal wildlife (if weather permitting)
DAY 3 – Breakfast
- Free and leisure in the morning or enjoy a guided morning walk at the Segama Trail/ Hornbill Trail.
- Check out. Depart for 2½ hrs journey to Lahad Datu.
** Also offering
* 4D/3N package
* 5D/4N package
- Return overland transfer
- Chalet accommodation *
- Sightseeing as per itinerary *
- Meals at lodge (3B/4L/3D)
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel Insurance (highly recommended)
- Tips to guide
* Guides (A guide must be presented for a walks/hikes. No one are permitted to go on walks/ hikes without a guide).
Things to bring/wear: Suitable walking shoes * Long sleeves shirts * Change of clothes * Drinking water * Insect repellant * Mosquito oil * Binocular * Camera * Water proof for camera * Torchlight * Raincoat * Personal item